If you are a restaurant manager or owner, creating a uniform look and message that harmonizes all aspects of the design of your business will be important.
The first thing that most people are going to see when arriving at your restaurant is the sign, so it is really your first chance to make a great impression.
At Dave’s Signs, we have been creating iconic, custom signs for restaurants and businesses in and around the Los Angeles area for over 20 years. This experience allows us to offer you professional advice on what you need to know about restaurant signs that create a lasting impression.
- Incorporate the restaurant style – while it is important to capture attention, the style of the sign should be in harmony with the style of the restaurant. An upscale fine dining establishment should consider a classic and understated type of sign, much different from a family restaurant or a bar and grill.
- Add color – backlighting, neon lettering and mixtures of elements on the sign can be highlighted with the addition of subtle, bright and vibrant colors.
- Balancing size – the size of any restaurant sign needs to be in balance with the window, door, canopy or front façade of the building. Signs should look like they belong to the building design.
- Add branding – colors, style of lettering, company logos, specific formatting and even the background to the sign can all enhance corporate branding.
- Use variety – most restaurants are going to include more than one sign. By choosing a cohesive theme but differences in size, lighting and elements, each sign looks customized for it’s specific location.
- Visibility factor – signs should be easy to read and not hidden or difficult to see. This is true for both interior as well as exterior signs. Signs that are a challenge to find aren’t doing their job.
- Use your sign – for a restaurant, using the outside sign on social media sites is a great way to draw attention to the name of your restaurant and also to provide visitors with a clear picture of what they’ll enjoy at your restaurant.
- Keep it simple – for interior signs, including specials and basic signs, be sure to keep the message simple and easy to read at just a glance. Use the minimum amount of text and keep background designs from distracting.
- Type of sign – different types of signs, from old style neon to modern monument signs, send a message. Take a look at the design in draft form and see if it is sending the right message.
- Be original – while imitation may be the best form of flattery, don’t make your restaurant sign the same as the competition.
Dave’s Signs can create an original, customized sign; just what you have in mind. Reach out to our talented design staff to discuss what you are looking for and the ideas you have for your new restaurant sign.