Blade Signs create visual interest and function well in many environments.
Looking for a new way to advertise your business? Are you searching online for “blade signs near me?” Well, Dave’s Signs has you covered locally and nationwide.
We invite you to check out our blade signage. Our signs are made of high-quality materials and will last for years. Plus, some are easy to install—you don’t need any special tools or equipment.
Our gallery has a wide variety of options, perfect for any store or restaurant.
From stores to office buildings, blade signs have stood the test of time. These classic signs are currently a trending item across the country.
But first, what makes a blade sign a blade sign?
What is a Blade Sign?
Blade signs traditionally consist of a thin, flat piece of metal, aluminum, or MDO plywood mounted to a building or post. The name “blade” comes from the fact that the sign hangs down or juts out like a blade.
Blade signs are designed to hang vertically or horizontally on a bracket or frame near the business’s entryway. Rugged and robust, they are mounted perpendicular to walls or other surfaces. Some even hang down from the ceiling.
One of the best features of a blade sign is its short setback. Paired with an eye-catching design makes them highly visible.
They come illuminated or non-illuminated but always provide a focal point for passersby to view.
There are many different types of blade signs, but all share some standard features. They are typically skinny and lightweight, making them easy to mount. They also have a sleek, modern design, perfect for businesses of all types.
Blade signage works well in strip malls, downtown businesses, areas with frequent pedestrian traffic, and businesses with sidewalks in front.
Blade Signs are Designed for Attracting Foot Traffic
One of the main benefits of blade signage is that they are easy to see while walking. Pedestrians won’t have to turn their heads and look at a sign that is flat up against the storefront. They can see the sign from a distance as they move forward because it projects outward and is perpendicular to the building.
Blade signs are also perfect for businesses that want to make a statement. With their sleek design and eye-catching colors, blade signs are sure to grab attention.
Why Choose a Blade Sign?
This type of sign for your business is beneficial in many ways. Here are some of the most important:
- Blade signs are very versatile for just about any business.
- They are made of high-quality materials and will last for years.
- Some are easy to install and don’t require special tools or equipment.
- Their sleek, modern style will give your business a professional look.
- Simple blade signs can be budget-friendly while still making a statement.
- Sophisticated illuminated blade signs can be the standout on the entire block.
Businesses That Use Blade Signage
We’ve seen an incredible number of requests for blade signs in recent years. Here are a few types of businesses that have found great success with blade signs.
- Retail Stores: Retail stores benefit from blade signage, especially if they are located in a crowded space. Blade signs for retail are a great way to enhance the storefront while attracting the attention of shoppers walking by.
- Restaurants: Restaurants are perfect for blade signage because they generate excitement and build anticipation for the experience. A high-quality sign says a lot about the food and can create a sense of fun and intrigue.
- Shopping Malls: These signs are perfect for businesses located in shopping malls. Compact and double-sided, they are a great way to attract attention from drivers and pedestrians.
- Office Buildings: Office buildings can also use blade signs to promote their business by simply displaying their name and logo. They help customers know where they are, especially in office buildings that look the same, and it’s hard to differentiate one office suite from another.
- Vineyards: Local vineyards and tasting rooms abound in California. A hanging blade sign like the one we created for Majestic Oak Vineyard in Ojai adds an elegant touch that’s on-brand.
Different Types of Custom Blade Signs
As you can see from the gallery at Dave’s Signs, there are many different types of blade signs that you can choose from. Here are a few of their popular designs and the various ways they are used.
Hanging Blade Signs
Hanging blade signs, also called swinging signs, are typically double-sided and hang from a mount on the wall or ceiling above the business. They can be designed using custom print graphics, vinyl letters, hand-painted, sandblasted, or even routed. The most common sizes are square, rectangle, and round, but we can make them into any custom shape.
Here are 2 Types of swinging blade signs.
- Wall Mount: Wall-mounted swinging blade signs are not illuminated. Their custom design displays your company’s name and logo. They usually hang from chains on a bracket mounted on a wall, a pole, or an ornamental frame. These signs are simple, eye-catching, and affordable.
- Ceiling Mount: Ceiling-mounted swinging blade signs like the one pictured here can be a great way to grab attention in shopping malls and other retail locations where wall space is limited. These hanging signs are right in view, making them easy to see for shoppers walking or driving by.
Stationary Blade Signs
Stationary blade signs are a great way to showcase your business name and logo. They are simple, polished, and professional-looking. Since they are stationary, they can be illuminated with various lighting styles and other sign technologies like channel letters, neon, lightbox illumination, and dimensional letters because they can support the added weight. They can be used indoors or outdoors in your building and come in a variety of sizes.
Illuminated Blade Signs
Illuminated blade signs are perfect for businesses that want to make a statement 24/7. These signs are brightly lit and can be seen from a distance. Illuminated blade signs are custom-made to fit your brand and lit using channel letters, LED, neon, and or illuminated lightboxes.
Custom Illuminated Blade Signs
Typically most of our custom illuminated blade signs have a combination of lighting technologies in one sign. Since each lighting style brings its own look and feel, sometimes the right combination of different styles can bring the most eye-catching and appealing sign on the block.
For example, the Finneys Crafthouse & Kitchen sign at the top of this article is a two-sided custom-shaped stationary sign. It uses neon lighting, face-lit channel letters, and an illuminated lightbox for the “& Kitchen” section. This sign is huge and stands out for an entire block. Pedestrians and drivers can all see this sign day or night. It’s like a beacon for all to come and try out Finney’s.
Here are some classics for those who want to focus on one lighting style.
Neon Blade Signs
Neon-lit blade signs are iconic and are a special type of lighted blade sign we regularly make for our clients. These illuminated blade signs are perfect for businesses that want to stand out from the competition in a nostalgic tone. They are brightly lit and can be seen from a distance, making them perfect for promoting your business at night.
Channel Letter Blade Signs
You can’t go wrong with a channel letter sign. A channel letter means any character, letter, shape, or number that is 3-D and has a lighting element inside. These signs can be face-lit and or halo-lit. Typically made of aluminum and acrylic, a channel letter blade sign is rugged, affordable, and makes a statement 24/7.4
Illuminated Lightbox Blade Signs
Star of CA Illuminated Monument Sign by Dave’s SignsYou’ll find many illuminated lightbox signs – illuminated cabinets – used for businesses alongside city streets. These projecting signs help drivers see the business, especially at night.
These signs offer a property manager a permanent sign fixture that can be easily updated when a new tenant moves into the space.
3-D / Dimensional Letter Blade Signs
Three-dimensional blade signs are perfect for businesses that want to stand out in 3-D at a lower cost than channel letters. The sleek, flowing lines of this type of blade sign will catch the eye of passersby and invite them in to see what the business is all about. These signs can be lit externally with flood and spotlights, bullet, or even gooseneck lights.
Three-dimensional blade signs are perfect for businesses that want to stand out in 3-D without the higher cost of channel letters. The sleek, flowing lines of this type of blade sign will catch the eye of passersby and invite them in to see what you’re business is all about.
Custom blade sign shapes can be striking. Their detailed craftsmanship, like this custom outdoor blade sign we did for Rookees illustrates a uniqueness and character you can’t get from a standard flat panel sign.
Sandblasted & Routed Blade Signs
Lastly, everyone has seen a sandblasted or routed sign like this one, Zen Massage Place. A custom shape, 3-D feel on the letters, background texture, and a pop of color make this sign really stand out on Main Street downtown.
What are Blade Signs Made from?
Many materials can go into making them. Let’s take a closer look:
- Aluminum / Metal – Aluminum and metal with acrylic graphics, flat graphic signs, and illuminated cabinets – aka lightbox signs.
- Wood – Redwood or cedar for a traditional wood sign look. Great for sandblasted and routed signs.
- Acrylic – Durable and weather-resistant, acrylic signs get your message across in 3-D.
- MDO – Flat graphic signs, weather-resistant and waterproof, these medium-density overlay plywood signs are common in real estate.
Blade Signage Services & Support
Blade Signage Design
Whether you are working with existing branding guidelines, sign designs, or need something designed from scratch. We have an excellent design team that can work with you to come up with a standout design that matches your brand and meets the sign requirements of your city or location.
Blade Signage Permits
Do you need help with the city permitting process? Or maybe you have restrictions or limitations at your site location. Let us handle it. We have been working with cities and compliance for over 20 years. We know the permitting process. Often clients will come to us before they purchase or lease property to advise them on signage regulations and how they will affect their business.
Blade Signage Fabrication
We fabricate our blade signage in-house so we can control the quality. Whether it’s a simple flat graphic blade sign or sophisticated illuminated cabinet blade signage with neon and halo-lit channel letters, we make sure it’s up to code and looks great.
Blade Sign Installation
A few blade signs are simple, lightweight, and easy to install because the brackets are already in place. You just have to switch out the swinging flat panel. However, most blade signage requires professional installation. Our expert installers will ensure your sign is secure, looks great, and is compliant with city ordinances.
Blade Signage Service & Repair
We feel that there is no one better to maintain your sign than the company who made it. Not only will we design, fabricate and install your signs. We’ll be there for routine maintenance and repair when the need arises.
Do you already have blade signage done by someone else? Does it need repair, removal, or restoration? No problem, call us. We can repair your sign or create a brand new sign just like it.
Dave’s Signs: Your Custom Blade Sign Company
From a traditional blade sign design to custom signs that speak to your brand, the team at Dave’s Signs can make the right sign for your business site a reality. And whether we use custom lighting like halo-lit channel letters or something else you have in mind, your projecting sign will capture the imagination of everyone passing by.
We’ll be there for every step, from getting permits, designing your sign, and fabrication to installing it properly.
Whether you’re local or out of state – we ship nationwide. If you’re interested in finding out more about our custom blade signage, you can contact us at (805) 641-1387. You can also reach out to us with questions or request a quote online.